I need some good sweet potato recipies for the fair, I'd like to win a blue ribbon, know any great recipes
If you use the orange kumara for this, you will have a beautiful golden pudding. You'll need about 1 lb unpeeled potatoes.
SWEET POTATO PUDDING
13 1/2 oz sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
1 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
6 egg yolks, beaten
2 teaspoons preserved ginger in syrup, finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Combine all the ingredients except fo the egg whites in a bowl and beat together well.
Fold in the egg whites and bake in a greased pudding dish for about 1 hour.
Preserved ginger in syrup is available in jars from delicatessens.
I made sweet potato hash browns and they were awesome, I shredded the potatoes like regular potatoes. I put some olive oil and butter in my pan, so the butter would not burn so fast. I added the sweet potatoes, a little salt, pepper, cayenne and some brown sugar. Let them cook till brown on one side, then flip. They get real brown and the crust is kinda chewy. My boyfriend loved them and he isn'at crazy about sweet potatoes. You can also make sweet potato fries. I have not made them, but had them at a restaurant and they were wonderful.
I want to impress my family and make a killer sweet potato recipe! Recipes???
Doesn't have marshmallows but I can guarantee its to DIE for!!!!!!!!!!! I always have to double the below fir my family :) Enjoy!!
4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.
Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
I never used purple sweet potatoes but i grew purple beans and when cooked they turned green. Iwas really diappointed! I dont know if the potatoes do the same. I would cook them like regular S.potatoes. Martha has some good recipes on her site. Good luck
I made some sweet potato fries today following this recipe.
1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper
1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
2 large (about 1 1/2 pounds) sweet potatoes
1. Prepare the sweet potatoes: In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel potatoes, cut each in half lengthwise, and cut each half into 6 wedges. In a large bowl, combine the cut potatoes, oil, and spice mixture. Toss until potatoes are evenly coated.
2. Bake the fries: On a baking sheet, arrange potatoes in a single layer and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake until edges are crisp and potatoes are cooked through -- about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Are there any sweet potato pie recipes that dont call for milk or cream?
Though I don't have an exact recipe for you, I would suggest baking the sweet potatoes, rather than boiling them. Their flavor is much more rich when baked.
Or, you could do as I have done before, and it tastes dynamite!! Make candied sweet potatoes, and once they are fully cooked, mash them (or use the blender/mixer) and pour into pie crusts and bake.
Here's a recipe for those, adjust it as you may need for a smaller batch.
3 pounds sweet potatoes or yams--peeled and cubed
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks sweet butter, cubed
umm this one is with substitute sugar
3 lbs sweet potatoes or yams (try to find ones that are about the same size)
1½ cups pecan pieces
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
5 Tablespoons butter
1. Poke the sweet potatoes/yams several times with a sharp knife and roast at 400 F. until soft - about 45-60 minutes depending upon the size.
2. Make the topping - pulse 1 cup of the pecans in food processor or blender until it is ground into a meal.
Add about 1/4 cup worth sugar substitute, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and 2 Tablespoons of the butter and process until blended. Mix the rest of the pecan pieces in by hand.
3. Let the sweet potatoes cool for 10-15 minutes. Split them and remove the pulp. Put them into the food processor or blender (no need to wash between topping and sweet potatoes) and process with the rest of the butter (3 Tablespoons). Mashing with a potato masher is also fine, but the texture will be somewhat smoother if you blend/process. Add the rest of the seasonings - (1 teaspoon cinnamon, the nutmeg, salt, and black pepper). The amount of sweetener you add will be up to your taste and the sweetness of the yams. When the seasonings are to your taste, and the egg and blend.
4. Put sweet potato in buttered baking dish and sprinkle pecan topping over the top. Bake at 375 F. until the topping is browned.
4 medium sweet potatoes(approx 1 lb)
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 dash angostura bitters
Boil potatoes until tender. Remove skins. Mash pulp with a potato
masher or electric mixer. Add remaining ingredients and whip until
fluffy. Pace in a 1 quart ungreased casserole. Cover and bake at 350
degrees for approximately 30 minutes.
If it were me, I'd prepare the potatoes, put in about a cup of maple syrup, 1/4 cup of butter, a cup of heavy cream, and a good tsp of salt, a tbsp cinnamon and a tbsp good vanilla extract. I'd mash it all up together, put it in a baking pan, and save until you're ready to cook it. I'd reheat it at 350 degrees for 45 min, then cover with marshmallows and give it an additional 10 min at 400 degrees.
Kraft has a great recipe on their site, if you can find it--with cream cheese or neufachel and pecans on top.