Who are the ten or so famous people who have affected you politically,?
1. My Grandma, someone who was independent minded and humble, a farmer's wife, school teacher, FDR supporter and liberal Christian.
2. MLK... even as a very young child during the 60's, he had a huge profound effect on me.
3. Jesus Christ and his radical teachings of peace and justice for the poor and disenfranchized.
4. My Dad, who was a blue collar worker and union member who would never have been able to afford food on the table if it weren't for unions and the wages unions fought for. He worked non-union jobs when union jobs weren't available and the pay on those were less than half of what union wages were at the time. BTW, my mom was a blue collar union worker too who lost her pension because of company fraud and mismanagement. If that kind injustice doesn't change anyone's politics nothing will.
5. My 6th grade teacher who had our classes singing John Lennen songs, Bob Dylan and whoever wrote and sang "Puff the Magic Dragon (Peter, Paul and Mary?) songs at nursing homes and senior citizen homes.
Which looking back now is absolutely hilarious! Also, looking at Peter Max paintings, hearing Allen Ginsberg's poems and seeing Sister Mary Corita Kent's art (even though I'm not Catholic) had alot of influence on me visually and poetically.
6. Mahatma Ghandi
7. All the others you listed including Ralph Nader, Eugene V. Debbs, Margaret Sanger, Emma Goldman, FDR, Voltaire, Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklyn, and the many many anti-nuclear, anti-McCarthyite and anti-military industrial complex activists that have stood up for years trying to change this country around for the better. Except I learned about them much later in life as I became more aware of political and economic ideas of justice and government. And, there are so many more that I can't possibly list them all without being redundant from all the above poster's lists. And, I agree with many of the above, Nixon, Reagan, Thatcher, the Vietnam War and Hitler all influenced me too but in the reverse effect.
Some of the people most influential for me were artists including those of post WWI Germany who say extreme poverty and the rise of Naziism, Including Kathe Kollewitz. And, some of whom lost their lives to Naziism. Their pictures were extremely powerful testimonies to the attrocities of man's inhumanity toward other humans.
It was mostly the direct life experiences that influenced me the most on how my political views formed. The political philosophy and the intellectuals writings, art, and poetry filled in the blank spaces and helped make it far more clear in the fuzzy areas.
Here are some images to get you started:
Andy Warhol http://www.google.com/search?q=pop+artis...
Roy Lictenstein comic book pop art: http://www.google.com/search?q=pop+artis...
Mel Ramous pin-up pop art: http://www.google.com/search?q=pop+artis...
Red Grooms pop art city images: http://www.google.com/search?q=pop+artis...
Robert Indiana pop art letters words and signs: http://www.google.com/search?q=pop+art+r...
Also look at any, or all, of these pop artists:
Sir Peter Blake
Niki de Saint Phalle
* Billy Apple
* Sir Peter Blake
* Derek Boshier
* Antonio Caro
* Patrick Caulfield
* Alan D’Arcangelo
* Jim Dine
* Robert Dowd
* William Eggleston
* Marisol Escobar
* Red Grooms
* Richard Hamilton
* Keith Haring
* David Hockney
* Robert Indiana
* Jasper Johns
* Allen Jones
* Alex Katz
* Corita Kent
* Nicholas Krushenick
* Yayoi Kusama
* Roy Lichtenstein
* Richard Lindner
* John McHale
* Peter Max
* Takashi Murakami
* Yoshitomo Nara
* Claes Oldenburg
* Julian Opie
* Eduardo Paolozzi
* Peter Phillips
* Sigmar Polke
* Hariton Pushwagner
* Mel Ramos
* Robert Rauschenberg
* Larry Rivers
* James Rosenquist
* Ed Ruscha
* George Segal
* Colin Self
* Aya Takano
* Wayne Thiebaud
* Andy Warhol
* John Wesley
* Tom Wesselmann
Does anyone have any idea what artist I'm thinking of?
Hi! In the online book....
Nuns: a history of convent life, 1450-1700
by Silvia Evangelisti
it refers to many nuns who were painters: http://books.google.com/books?id=sIXWgHQ...
And references in this book:
Dictionary of women artists, Volume 1
By Delia Gaze http://books.google.com/books?id=6_0Y0PA...
Nuns as Artists: The Visual Culture of a Medieval Convent
by Jeffrey F. Hamburger http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=978...
A number of sisters/artists are listed here: http://anunslife.org/2008/10/25/ask-sist...
Newsweek article on:
"The Painting Nun - Sister Mary Corita Kent" https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac... WBlbUAlT4A
Is there any way to contact that teacher?
I hope this helps! :)
Help me gind a well known artist for artist reaserch please?
Sir Peter Blake
Take your pick and have a good research though them:)x